In a recent presentation by Kyle Roof from HVSEO at State of Search by DFW, the story of Herbert Dow and his success in the bromine industry was shared.
Dow’s innovative approach to producing bromine at a cheaper price than the cartel controlling the industry led to his success and eventual breaking of the cartel’s hold on the market. The story highlights the importance of innovation and taking risks in business.
- Innovation and risk-taking are crucial to success in business.
- Breaking monopolies and cartels can lead to increased competition and innovation in industries.
- Success in business often requires a willingness to challenge the status quo and take unconventional approaches.
Table of Contents
State of Search by DFW
State of Search by DFW has a dedicated team of board members who work tirelessly to ensure that the organization continues to grow and provide value to its members. The board is comprised of several members, including Kevin Adams, who is the president of the organization. Other board members include Tim Shane, the vice president, Mike Stewart, the treasurer, and Julie Jones, the secretary. There are also three board members at large, Rachel Black, Jenna Williams, and Jeff Ferguson.
State of Cert Conference
The State of Search by DFW Conference is one of the organization’s most significant events, and it is held annually. This year’s conference is scheduled for November 13th and 14th, and it will be a two-day event that includes virtual as well as in-person attendance options. Early bird tickets are currently on sale, and if you enter the code “early SOS 23” by May 1st, you can save $50 off the ticket price. While the hotel reservation is still being negotiated, the details will be made available by next month’s meeting.
State of Search by DFW offers several membership options to its members, including corporate, small business, individual, and student memberships. Memberships are what keep the organization running and enable it to continue providing value to its members. If you have any questions about membership, please send an email to email@example.com.
State of Search by DFW values feedback from its members, and that’s why they have created a meeting survey for attendees to fill out after the meeting. The survey can be found at dfwscm.org/virtual-meeting-survey. The organization wants to know what attendees want to learn, what they can improve on, and how they can make life easier for everyone. Please take the time to fill out the survey and provide honest feedback.
Overall, State of Search by DFW is an organization that is committed to providing value to its members. With dedicated board members, annual conferences, membership options, and a commitment to feedback, the organization is well-positioned to continue growing and providing value to its members for years to come.
Presenter: Kyle Roof from HVSEO
The Story of Herbert Dow and Bromine
In the late 1800s, the world was rapidly changing due to the invention of electricity. Herbert Dow, a chemistry student, saw an opportunity in the chemical bromine. Bromine was a valuable chemical used in many industries, but it was controlled by a cartel in Germany. Dow’s process was cheaper and more efficient, so he started his own bromine factory in North America.
When Dow decided to expand to Europe, the cartel threatened him with flooding the North American market with cheap bromine if he didn’t raise his prices. But Dow didn’t back down. He bought up all the cheap bromine from the cartel, re-packaged it, and sold it in Europe at a higher price, making a fortune.
The cartel tried to compete by dropping their prices even lower, but Dow continued to outsmart them. He bought up all their cheap bromine again, sold it in Europe at a higher price, and even threatened to flood the European market with the cartel’s own cheap bromine. Eventually, Dow broke the cartel and became a successful businessman.
Lessons to take away from Dow’s story include the importance of innovation, perseverance, and not being afraid to take risks. Dow’s success came from his willingness to try something new and his ability to outsmart his competitors.
How to Apply Dow’s Lessons to SEO
Dow’s story can be applied to the world of search engine optimization (SEO). Here are some ways to do so:
- Innovate: Just like Dow, SEO professionals need to stay ahead of the curve by constantly innovating and testing new strategies. This includes staying up-to-date with the latest algorithms and trends, as well as experimenting with new tactics.
- Persevere: SEO is a long-term game, and success doesn’t happen overnight. It’s important to stay committed to your goals and keep pushing forward, even when faced with setbacks.
- Take Risks: SEO is not a one-size-fits-all solution, and what works for one website may not work for another. It’s important to take risks and try new things, even if they seem unconventional.
- Outsmart Competitors: Just like Dow outsmarted the cartel, SEO professionals need to find ways to outsmart their competitors. This includes analyzing their strategies, identifying weaknesses, and finding ways to differentiate yourself.
- Stay Humble: Despite his success, Dow remained humble and focused on his goals. SEO professionals should do the same by staying grounded, open to feedback, and always striving to improve.
By applying these lessons to SEO, professionals can achieve success in a constantly evolving industry.